Header Ads

Boas stars as PNG Hunters moves to 2nd spot on the Intrust Super Cup points table

Centre Ase Boas celebrated with a three-try haul as the SP PNG Hunters returned to the winners’ circle after a 38-10 win over Tweed Heads Seagulls on Sunday in their Round 4 Intrust Super Cup match.
Boas, who has come off the bench in his debut year with the Hunters, was given a starting jumper, following injuries to regular centres Thompson Teteh and Adex Wera.
Both will be out for a few weeks due to rib injuries.
Coach Michael Marum glad that his decision to use Boas at centre had turned into a masterstroke would have obviously been a relieved man that the former Gurias man revelled at the Kalabond Oval in front of the home crowd.
Boas had the opportunity to sign up with the Hunters in their debut year in 2014 but opted to let that pass as he couldn’t get a release in time from his career as a policeman. That done now he has been used off the bench in the last opening rounds of the season.
On Sunday getting his first chance to start, Boas lit up the Kalabond once again in a man-of-the-match performance bagging a hat-trick.
Boas scored two tries in the first half and the only Hunters try in the second half to put his team in the front of the pack on the premiership table on 6 points with five other teams.
Also returning to the centres was Kato Ottio, who continues to impress as he not only picked up a try but was punishing in defence with his bone-crushing tackles.
Ottio was used in the back row in a close 14-8 loss to Easts Tigers, thee previous week, which forcing the Hunters to surrender the first spot, slipping down to third.
They needed a big win and the points avalanche was ignited by hooker Wartovo Puara, who scored next to the uprights.
The Seagulls, going into the match without several of their topline players, missing for varying reasons struggled to adjust to the hot conditions and the Hunters relentless defence made life more difficult for them.
Ottio was next on the scoreboard before fullback Stargroth Amean stretched the scores to 16-0 by the first quarter of the opening half.
Boas was the next Hunter over the line, scoring his first try and when Oti Bland Tony crossed for his own contribution, the Hunters had opened up a sizeable 28-0 lead on the visitors.
Boas then collected his second try one minute before half-time for a 34-0 advantage which meant the two competition points were already in the bag if the Hunters continued to work hard in defence.
Coach Marum stressed that at the break and that exactly how the game unfolded with only two tries allowed to the visitors, one of them through winger Kalifa Faifai Loa.
Tweed Heads’ centre Davin Crampton, one of the Seagulls main attacking weapons retired injured in the second half and coach Aaron Zimmerle must be glad that the most difficult away home was over.
With 10 minutes left on the clock Boas completed his treble as the Hunters
now prepare for two consecutive away matches before they next return to the Kalabond in Round 7 against Mackay Cutters.
The Hunters have now pushed up to second place with Townsville Blackhawks, also on 6 points retaining the first spot due to superior percentage.
The Hunters play Sunshine Coast Falcons this weekend for Round 5 with the Round 6 match against the Wynnum Manly Seagulls at BMD Kougari Oval.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.